Monday, June 29, 2009

Simon's Birthday! The big 3!

I hate being behind on blogging because it is hard to catch up.

Our sweet Simon turned 3 years old this last month! I can't believe it has been 3 years since the day that changed our lives forever.




We planned a fun day of going to the Children's museum in Phoenix and then going to lunch and Extreme Play! Somehow our time got away from us and we didn't do any of this! :)






We did have a great day though. We spent the morning at the zoo playing in the water. On the way home, Simon crashed so didn't make it to Extreme Play. When he woke up, we invited some family over for cake and ice cream. All in all, an adventurous day for our little birthday boy.




I had been planning to make Simon the perfect Thomas the Train birthday cake. I admit that I'm not a good cake decorator but this time I was determined it would be perfect. Ya right!

So, I tried to do a buttercream transfer of a Thomas design. Melesa is a pro at doing these. I got out her instructions and made the cake and frosing.

When I finished the black outlines of Thomas he looked great! I was very impressed with my work.

After the outlines are done you are supposed to fill in the rest. Kind of like a coloring book. Then you have to push it together with a knife so there aren't any frosting lines.
Here is where the trouble started. I pushed it together with my knife and the whole thing started to stick to my knife and come up off of the paper. So I pushed a little harder and smeared the back together really well.
I pushed it too hard and ended up smearing Thomas' face! aaah! My beautiful cake! With a little extra frosting and a little extra patience, I stuck the transfer on the cake and fixed his face the best I could. At least you can tell who it is.
Maybe next year he will get the perfect Thomas cake.






Happy third birthday Simon, you grow bigger, stronger, and smarter every day! I can't wait to see what you will be doing on your fourth birthday. I love spending every day with you, through giggles and tears. You really are my sunshine!
Love, Mom

6 comments:

Lisa said...

hi jen!! CUTE BLOG!! look at you family! that is so wonderful!!

Lisa said...

ps your cake look AMAZING!!

Just Us Two said...

I don't know Jeni, your cake looks pretty impressive to me! :) What a Mom!

Mele said...

Its hard to believe he's already 3! And, you did a great job on the cake. Love you!

Chantel said...

hey I can't add you to my blog without your email....email me at chantel.allen@hotmail.com and let me know what it is so I can add you.

Amy said...

Happy birthday, Simon! Gosh, I remember attending your baby shower. How time flies, huh? He's looking as handsome as ever and so big. It seems like a fun day and your cake really does look amazing. I'm impressed.

Oh, I love the picture of Ryan on the side. He looks so big and just like Simon to me. What a cutie.

Si and Ry

Si and Ry