Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gone Campin'

 A week after our Grand Canyon Trip we took our little adventurers on thier first campout!

It just so happened to be Greer Days too, so first we went over to Greer to watch my dad and his gang of Cowboys show down in the streets of Greer. We got their just in time. Well, just in time to be stopped by the police officer who had blocked off the road. We were too late!
I jumped out of the car and caught the last part of the action. My dad made the best marshall! I love seeing his creative side come out.
We flagged him down in between swarming fans and autographs to snag a picture with our boys. And we got the classic looking-down-the-barrell picture. Thank goodness I knew that that gun isn't loaded. It still can send a shiver down your spine.


 Next to the road was a creek that the boys just had to go throw rocks and sticks in. It's in every little boys (and girls) nature to want to throw stuff in water.  Jeremiah got some sticks together and had stick races with the boys.


The boys were tired and cranky so we stuck them in a car and headed off to find a campsite.

It was beautiful, fresh, green, peaceful, and quiet.

The boys helped us hunt for sticks to start a fire. We cooked dinner and put the munchkins to bed. They were so worn out that even in the middle of the forest at night it didn't take long to get them to bed. Then Jeremiah and I roasted marshmallows and I ate like 5 smores. mmmm.
Ryan played fetch with Zues.  And drove the stroller around on the lumpy ground.

My favorite part is always breakfast. This was my first time getting up, lighting the fire and cooking breakfast for everyone else. I finally got to break in my new dutch oven. Everything tastes better when it's cooked over open flames.
I can't wait to go again! The boys were so good and we enjoyed every second.

1 comment:

Mele said...

FUN! Dad really looks the part doesn't he?! It would be fun to watch him perform. Camping looks like a great time, especially the 5 smores and dutch oven breakfast! I love food :)

Si and Ry

Si and Ry