Friday, May 7, 2010

{ To Be a Mother }

(I posted this on my Cantaloupe Corner blog but I feel it is even more fitting for my personal blog. )



I am one of the lucky moms.
No, lucky isn't the right word. I'm am very blessed.


I was able to quit my day job when my first little one came along.

My mom stayed home with me and my 6 siblings.

I am forever greatful for a mother that was willing to stay home to teach us and help us grow. Her time is worth more than any other gift she could ever have given us.

I always wanted to be like her and stay home with my kids.


(Here' my mom and dad. Aren't they cute?!)


The first few months after my first son was born I was restless.

I was full of new mom joy and postpartum depression, and I was so used to having a task list, a pile of papers to file, or clients to call. Now I was living on my babies schedule: feeding, changing, feeding, rocking, feeding.

It was emotionally draining and physically exhausting.


I spent nights in tears wishing for sleep but accepting the fact that if the baby didn't sleep, neither did I.



I knew that being a mom was going to be the best and hardest job I would ever have. No one ever told me how much my emotions would be entwined with my new little stranger.



Having a baby is like having your heart outside of your body.

Now I have 2 amazing, smart, sweet little boys that I love so dearly! I know that God gives us children so that we can catch a glimpse of how much he loves us. It is vibrant, universe altering, and unconditional!

As mother's day is this weekend I thank my Father in Heaven that I get to be a mom.

I don't want a day of pampering , flowers, or breakfast in bed.

I want to spend mother's day being a mom: Reading stories, kissing owies, playing trains, singing songs, eating cookies and milk.

I want a day filled with horsey rides and tickle fights, sticky hands, chocolate faces, and sandy feet.




I just want to be a mom.





Happy Mothers Day to all of you AMAZING MOMS! You are doing a great and important work!

Enjoy your children while they are small because "the handprints get higher and higher and then one day they disappear. "

2 comments:

Heather said...

Beautifully written! I really really loved your words here, and felt they were so inspiring. Thank you for them.

Mele said...

I agree with every word! Before kids I never knew life could be this awesome, this rewarding, this challenging...but I'm loving every second of it! Love you and the wonderful Mom you are to your boys!

Si and Ry

Si and Ry